What Happens When You Report a Fake Marriage?

What happens when you report a fake marriage? If you are suspicious that someone you know has been involved in a fake marriage, you can report them to the United States Immigration and Naturalization Service.

This agency can initiate a formal investigation and may place the immigrant in removal proceedings. If this is proven to be the case, the immigrant can be deported and could be fined up to $250,000.

This is What Happens When You Report a Fake Marriage

Documentation Required by USCIS to Prove Marriage is Genuine

There are several documents you can submit to prove your marriage. These documents can include joint bank statements and other financial records. This will show that you and your spouse have shared responsibility for any financial loans or liabilities. In addition, you can provide proof that you have children together, such as birth certificates.

The USCIS also requires photographs of the couple. You should be sure to include both of your parents and show the couple in a picture that is not too intimate. USCIS officers know how easy it is to fake these photos, so it is important to submit photographs that show the couple fully clothed. Also, make sure to include the date the photo was taken, as well as a brief description of what it shows.

Also read: “Can You Live in Canada If You Marry a Canadian?”

USCIS officers are skilled at detecting fraudulent marriages. A marriage certificate is not enough; you should show that you have been living together, joined finances, spent time together, and had children. You should also show that your marriage was genuine. If you can prove these factors, you should have a chance of passing the USCIS’ scrutiny.

See also  Marrying a Man 15 Years Older: 4 Great Perspectives

Penalty for Committing a Sham Marriage

If you have found that a person has been in a fake marriage, the punishment can be quite severe. Even if you were not involved in the marriage, you can be prosecuted. A fine, jail time, and even deportation are all possible consequences. It is important to report fake marriages to the authorities so that the authorities can take the necessary action.

Immigrants who commit marriage fraud are trying to exploit the immigration system to enter the United States. A conviction for marriage fraud could result in a five-year prison sentence and a fine of up to $5,000. In addition, it could result in charges of conspiracy, visa fraud, and false statements.

Marriage fraud can also result in deportation and nullification of citizenship benefits in the United States. The government has a department dedicated to monitoring international marriages. If you’re arrested for marriage fraud, you could lose your citizenship and face five years in prison. Further, the government only has a limited number of resources to handle all cases.

Contacting a USCIS Officer

If you believe your marriage was a fake, you must contact the USCIS officer responsible for the case. They will issue an NOID and require affidavits from your petitioning spouse’s family and friends to verify the marriage.

If the evidence is insufficient, the officer may require additional time to review your application. The USCIS officer may also want additional evidence of your cohabitation.

USCIS officers do not accept false documents that are presented falsely. This means that you must keep copies of any documents and any correspondence you receive from the government agencies. USCIS officers appreciate whistleblowers, so don’t be afraid to contact them and report marriage fraud.

See also  How to Reduce Cup Size From D to B

However, you should understand the process of contacting them isn’t an easy one. It’s important to take your time and plan your next steps.

In addition to the marriage document, the USCIS officer may visit the residence to verify if the couple actually lives together. The officer may also interview the spouse and/or other neighbors to verify the marriage. During the interview, they will ask questions about your spouse’s history, living arrangements, and finances.